You may have already heard of Yoni Steaming. Bertangas by Malaysian tradition, it’s also referred to as v-steaming, vaginal steaming, feminine steaming, v-sauna, yoni sauna, and peri-steam in modern Western culture.
This treatment is incorporated into ancient ritual for those who have long turned to herbal medicine for restoration of yoni health.
Benefits of the medicinal steam extend through all phases of life, and can naturally treat a host of ailments that are otherwise routinely addressed with unnecessarily aggressive, invasive, or harmful means.
Specialized combinations of herbs can enhance the steam’s healing and detoxifying effects for imbalances related to menstruation, chronic issues (like yeast infections, UTIs, hemorrhoids), fertility, menopause, and pelvic congestion caused by trauma or stagnant energy.
In regard to postpartum specifically, Yoni Steaming promotes toning, healing, cleansing, and shrinking of tissues — for a quicker, healthier, more luscious postpartum!
Yoni Steam Herbs & Support – $40
- Free 10-minute phone consult to discuss your needs
- Customized organic herbal blend (about 5 sessions’ worth)
- Info packet with instructions & yoni health tips
Yoni Throne Package Rental – $200
Up your Yoni Steam game with the Yoni Throne and more! Everything you need for a full moon cycle of yoni steam bliss. Package includes everything above, plus:
- Handmade wooden Yoni Steam chair
- Hand-painted clay steaming pot
- Electric hot plate
- Beautiful steaming gown — one size fits most
- Enjoy exclusively for up to 4 weeks
Kit will be hand-delivered (and picked up, if applicable) within my service range unless specified otherwise.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Yoni mean?
Yoni is a Sanskrit word that translates literally to “womb,” and refers to female reproductive anatomy including vagina and vulva, as well as “the source,” “passage,” “origin,” and related meanings.
What are the benefits of Yoni Steaming?
We already know steam has medicinal and everyday purposes — from clearing nasal congestion when you have a cold, to increasing blood flow in tissues, to detoxing in saunas, to opening pores during a spa treatment.
Yoni health uses include:
- Hastening postpartum healing
- Reducing premenstrual symptoms
- Balancing menstrual cycles
- Less painful periods
- Reduced clotting & uterine debris
- Cleansing & detoxifying
- Reducing intrauterine stagnation
- Supporting fertility
- Promoting healthy pH & odor
- Increasing sex drive, lubrication & blood flow
- Toning & tightening tissues
- Easing menopausal symptoms
Who should try Yoni Steaming?
Almost all women and those with a vagina can benefit from specialized steaming — especially anyone with irregular or painful cycles, short or long cycles, premenstrual symptoms, pelvic congestion, uterine fibroids, black or brown menstrual blood, infertility, perineum scarring or injury, yeast infections, unpleasant odor, hemorrhoids, fibroids or cysts in the pelvic area, hysterectomy, previous cesarean, anxiety, sexual trauma, loss of libido, and other conditions.
Even in the absence of notable issues, it’s still a wonderful way to reconnect with your inner vibrancy, femininity, and nourish your reproductive health.
Who should not Yoni Steam?
You should not use a Yoni Steam when/if:
- You are pregnant
- You might be pregnant
- After sex+ovulation if trying to conceive
- You are actively menstruating
- You have an Intrauterine Device (IUD)
- You have a uterine, cervical, or ovarian infection / inflammation
- You have a fever
- Blisters or open sores are present
- You are pre-menarche (haven’t gotten your first period)
- You’ve had your tubes tied
In some of these cases, you can wait until symptoms subside, then resume your steam regimen.
What are the safety protocols for Yoni Steaming?
Please ensure you are fit to steam by reading the above question’s answer. If you are a suitable candidate for steaming, take care to follow your info packet instructions properly.
Any items you incorporate in the steaming session should be thoroughly sanitized before and after use.
Skin tissues are delicate and sensitive; at no time should your body directly touch any heated element involved (stovetop, container with hot water and herbs, metal in a camping chair if using one). Always test the steam’s temperature with the back of your hand before sitting down. If it is too hot, allow it to cool a bit before attempting to sit.
Be mindful to sit down flat in the center of your chair, without shifting weight on one side of the other. Your seat may topple if weight is not distributed evenly.
I recommend situating your chair on a flat, hard floor — not carpet.
When should I steam, and how often?
You will receive detailed instructions with your steam herbs regarding frequency of steam sessions and ideal timing.
What supplies do I need for Yoni Steaming?
In addition to your provided herbs and steaming gown, you will need:
- Water access
If Yoni Throne Package rental is not desired, you will need:
- Food-safe pail (5 gallon) or stainless steel stew pot (20 quart), if not using a steam box
- Appropriate seat, such as a camping chair or steaming seat (otherwise squatting will do, but this gets tiring)
- A stainless steel pot or glass bowl
- Small electric hot plate (optional)
Because steaming involves high heat processes, ALWAYS ensure your items are BPA-free, non-toxic, food-grade safe, water- and steam-resistant. For this reason I do not recommend plastic sitz baths, plastic vaginal spa seats, or plastic steam gowns.
How exactly does the steaming process work?
It’s very simple! You will be provided detailed steps in your info packet, but in brief:
- Prepare herbs on the stove
- Pour herbs and water into container
- Carefully place container on floor
- Seat is situated at a safe distance above container
- Undress bottom; put on gown
- Relaxxxx & enjoy your steam session!
What kind of herbs do you use?
I only use certified organic herbs. Custom blends are available depending on your needs. For example, a restorative postpartum blend will differ from one that primarily focuses on fertility, cleansing, hydrating, or disinfecting. It’s important to be mindful of herbs used for cycle balancing as some shorten the cycle while others lengthen it.