What is virtual doula support?
This is modern birth support for 21st century families. Think of it like a “doula on demand” or “distance doula.” I support you remotely via text, call, email and video chat throughout pregnancy, labor, and postpartum. Satellite doula, here for you with the push of a button!
Virtual doula support is provided via call, text, email & video chat.
Do I need to be local to work with you?
No, we can interact from anywhere in the world — pretty amazing, right? If our time zones differ I will take this into consideration when scheduling communication and adjust to ensure timing is convenient for you.
Who should consider virtual doula services?
Virtual support may be for you if:
- Your birth place restricts the number of support people allowed
- You can’t find a local doula who’s a good match
- You lack access to quality doula care in your area
- You have a communicable illness & prefer to limit transmission risk
- You desire a birth space with as few attendees as possible
- You want to work with me but I’m out of town on your estimated due date
- You like clear, direct information at the touch of a button
- You get more out of reading & visual aids than hands-on help
- You want your doula to focus on guidance, information, verbal support — for you, hands-on care is less important
- You’ve given birth before and think you’re covered as far as in-person help, but would feel better knowing a doula is just a call away
- A traditional experience is not your thing for another reason, and you need an alternative
What can you assist me with in a virtual format?
Distance services are fully customizable. I can serve as your reference on matters such as:
- early pregnancy tips
- prenatal exercise & nutrition
- choosing a provider & birth place
- holistic remedies making a birth plan
- manifesting your birth vision
- understanding birth choices
- optimal fetal positioning
- stages of labor
- mechanics of birth
- emotions of birth
- variations of birth / special circumstances
- induction options
- pain management options
- labor comfort measures
- positions for labor & pushing
- communicating with laboring person
- birth partner coaching
- postpartum health & planning
- infant feeding (bottle, breastfeeding, etc)
- infant sleep
- newborn care
- cloth diapering
- connecting you with your local resources
- birth story processing
- …and more!
What do you NOT do as a virtual doula?
Under a virtual service agreement, I do not at any time:
- visit you in your home or elsewhere
- attend your birth onsite
- provide medical advice or diagnoses
- speak to birth staff on your behalf
- make decisions for you
- predict or guarantee any aspects of your birth
- assist for planned freebirth (birth unattended by midwife or OB)
What if I request the virtual package, but change my mind to want in-person support?
If you’re within my service range, I may be able to support you onsite at your birth with an updated contract and an additional fee — however, this change is NOT guaranteed to be possible. If you have concerns, I’m happy to discuss options at your initial consult.
If you had selected an in-person package and wish to change to virtual support, I’m happy to switch over the service format; please note the originally agreed-upon fees will remain the same.
What else should I know about doula support?
See my page “Why Hire A Doula?“
What happens at prenatal & postpartum meetings?
Read my post describing what’s covered (adapted to a virtual setting).