What is virtual doula support?
This is modern birth support for 21st century families. Think of it like a “doula on demand” or “distance doula.” I support you remotely via text, call, email and video chat throughout pregnancy, labor, and postpartum. Satellite doula, here for you with the push of a button!
Do I need to be local to work with you?
No! We can interact from anywhere in the world — pretty amazing, right? If our time zones differ I will take this into consideration when scheduling communication and adjust to ensure timing is convenient for you.
Who should consider virtual doula services?
Virtual support may be for you if:
- Your birth place restricts the number of support people allowed
- You can’t find a local doula who’s a good match
- You lack access to quality doula care in your area
- You have a communicable illness & prefer to limit transmission risk
- You desire a birth space with as few attendees as possible
- You want to work with me but I’m out of town on your estimated due date
- You like clear, direct information at the touch of a button
- You get more out of reading & visual aids than hands-on help
- You want your doula to focus on guidance, information, emotional support — for you, hands-on care is less important
- A traditional experience is not your thing for another reason, and you need an alternative
What you can you assist me with in a virtual format?
Distance services are fully customizable. I can serve as your reference on matters such as:
- early pregnancy tips
- prenatal exercise & nutrition
- choosing a provider & birth place
- holistic remedies making a birth plan
- manifesting your birth vision
- understanding birth choices
- optimal fetal positioning
- stages of labor
- mechanics of birth
- emotions of birth
- variations of birth / special circumstances
- induction options
- pain management options
- labor comfort measures
- positions for labor & pushing
- communicating with laboring person
- birth partner coaching
- postpartum health & planning
- infant feeding (bottle, breastfeeding, etc)
- infant sleep
- newborn care
- cloth diapering
- connecting you with your local resources
- birth story processing
- …and more!
What do you NOT do as a virtual doula?
Under a virtual service agreement, I do not at any time:
- visit you in your home
- attend your birth onsite
- provide medical advice or diagnoses
- speak to birth staff on your behalf
- make decisions for you
- predict or guarantee any aspects of your birth
- assist for planned freebirth (birth unattended by midwife or OB)
What if I request the virtual package, but change my mind to want in-person support?
If you’re within my service range (up to 1-hour drive from Katy, Texas), I’m happy to support you onsite at your birth. A new contract agreement will be made. Please inquire for details regarding fees.
What else should I know about doula support?
See my page “Why Hire A Doula?”
What happens at prenatal & postpartum meetings?
Read my post describing what’s covered (adapted to a virtual setting).
What services are included?
I offer a virtual package and A La Carte options (scroll down for details).
A La Carte / Hourly Menu
This option is great for those who want to ask specific questions, get expert guidance, and discuss certain topics — all at conveniently scheduled times.
How it works:
- You let me know your needs.
- I reserve a space on my calendar for your call(s).
- Payments must be completed in full prior to call dates.
- I gather information & resources for you.
- We discuss, problem-solve, learn.
- All information provided is evidence-based.
- One 30 min. call / video chat – $40
- One 60 min. call / video chat – $75
- Three calls (up to 60 min. each) – $200